- The most popular way to make your windows shine without streaks is to use a window cleaner and optionally: paper towels, a cloth or a rubber window wiper. You can also use a modern window vacuum cleaner. Thoroughly wiping the window should be enough. However, the final effect depends on the quality of the liquid used. Not all of them clean the glass equally well and it is worth remembering that.
- Instead of buying a window cleaner, you can use the washing-up liquid that is present in every home. Dissolve a small amount of it in a bowl with warm water and wipe the windows wet and then wipe them dry. It is the thorough dry wiping that prevents streaks from forming on the windows.
- An eco-friendly way for those who do not like to use household chemical cleaning products is a microfibre cloth and a water bowl. Due to its unique structure, microfibre can manage without detergents with the most resistant dirt and grease that sometimes appears on the glass. As in the case of window cleaning with washing-up liquid, there are two stages - wet cleaning and dry wiping.
- Another ecological way to make windows shine is a solution of lemon juice and water - half a glass of juice per glass of water. The windows cleaned this way will not only shine but will also give the interior a pleasant - fresh scent.
- 2 teaspoons of vinegar per glass of water is another ecological way to clean your windows. Contrary to common fears, vinegar will not create an unbearable odor in your home. Vinegar winds down quickly and its smell will cease to be noticeable after a few minutes. Vinegar is worth reaching for if the windows have not been cleaned for a long time.
- Very dirty windows that resist traditional chemical and ecological solutions need something extra. To dissolve difficult dirt, such windows should be greased with linseed oil and left for one hour. Then clean the window with a glass cleaner or washing-up liquid.
- A quick solution is to use wet wipes intended for glass cleaning. All you need to do is to wipe the window and leave it to dry. It works well with moderately dirty windows.
- Car owners are sure to have windshield washer fluid somewhere. It can also be used to clean windows. Windshield washer fluids are great at dealing with big-city dust, as well as traces of encounters with insects. They also wash away dirt and dust from home windows. Their unquestionable advantage is that they give the windows the properties of car windows – dust settles more slowly and water flows down without stopping on the glass.
What not to do
- Clean windows on warm and sunny days. Although it seems to be an ideal opportunity because on a sunny day you can see every speck on the window - the sun is not beneficial when cleaning glass. The reason is simple - under the influence of the sun the fluids used for cleaning evaporate faster so you may not manage to wipe the window dry – this will create ugly and difficult to remove streaks and smudges.
- Clean windows during frosts and severe frosts. Glass becomes more delicate and fragile on such days. All it takes is a careless movement such as pressing the cloth harder and the glass may break.
- Dry wipe the windows before cleaning. Even if they seem very dusty and it seems like they urgently need a paper towel wipe, this must not be done under any circumstances. Small, sometimes invisible particles that have settled on the window, during such wiping can permanently scratch the glass.
- Window cleaning is an exhausting job, despite appearances. It is not light or relaxing. Therefore, cleaning windows after a hard day at work or in a moment of lowered mood or reduced condition is not a good idea. It takes way more than just wiping the windows with a cloth several times for them to be truly clean.
- Start by cleaning the glass first. Such an order is an uphill battle as after cleaning the frame you will have to clean the glass again. Clean the window frames first, then the glass, and then finally the window sill.
What to use to polish windows?
Cleaning alone is not enough. In order to make your windows perfectly shiny, it is certainly worth polishing them. This should be done from top to bottom first and then from side to side. This sequence guarantees not only shining but also no streaks. For window polishing it is best to use:
- Tights - preferably torn ones that are no longer suitable for anything else.
- Cheese cloth or a cotton baby t-shirt. They are soft, made of high-quality materials, perfectly absorb moisture and leave no streaks.
- Newspaper, but not the colored ones. Ordinary newspaper, which easily absorbs water, is best for polishing windows. Before starting it is best to crumple such a newspaper into a large ball and tuck all the edges inside.
- Fabric softener. Pour a small amount into a bowl of water, wipe the windows and then polish them dry. This liquid has an antistatic effect, so no dust will settle on the glass - at least for a while.
How to clean window frames?
Window frames are usually cleaned in the same way as windows, but depending on the material they are made of, a few simple rules need to be followed:
- Wooden frames are best cleaned with warm water and a small amount of washing up liquid. Products containing ammonia cannot be used as they will damage the wood or varnish. After cleaning a wooden frame, it is a good idea to paint it with a wood preservative. Wooden frames should be cleaned at least twice a year.
- Aluminum frames are easily damaged, therefore no caustic chemicals or sharp objects such as a brush or wire cloth should be used to clean them. It is best to wipe them with warm water and mild detergent and then wipe them dry using a soft cloth.
- Vinyl frames are easily scratched, so it is best to clean them with a soft sponge and mild detergents such as water and glass cleaner. Do not use a hard sponge, wire cloth or a brush.
Why is it worth considering replacing your windows with new ones?
Windows are very often used elements and therefore they are subject to wear and tear. That is why over time you should consider replacing your old windows with new ones. The main reason for windows replacing are noticeable leaks, which have a negative impact on the thermal performance of the rooms and can generate additional heating costs. Another issue is that glass, unfortunately, tarnishes with time and even the most thorough cleaning will not allow obtaining the effect of perfect transparency. Good quality new windows are not only an expense but above all an investment. The latest technologies allow us to produce high-quality window joinery made of vinyl, aluminum or traditional wood. Remember that apart from the aesthetic aspects, thermal parameters and tightness class are extremely important because it depends on them whether the windows will "keep the heat in".